Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Stol and Begunjščica - brother and sister.

Stol (2236m) is the highest peak of the Karavanke range and has therefore been anchored on my must-ski list for a very long time. I was glad to find out that this mountain was planned for our winter ascent in scope of the alpinistic school. However, when I woke up in the middle of the night and the outside thermometer was showing -18 degrees Celsius, I was seriously thinking of a quick surrender. I had to gather all the stubborrness my character can produce and drove into the frozen night. In the end, mountains rarely keep you disappointed and Stol was no exception. We did some important mountaineering exercises, battled with extreme cold, while some of us even skied back to the car. A few participants went through delicate situations (lack of equipment, lack of physical form, stopping with an ice-axe..), however, all this adds to our crucially-needed experiences.

After my body rested and my fingers thawed, I decided to climb Begunjščica (2060m) - Stol's smaller sister. This is a classic sking mountain, so I will not go into details. Nina and I enjoyed the sunny day and skiied the snaky ravine - Centralna grapa (III+, S4).

No comments: