Thursday, April 28, 2011

Triglav.. and the neighborhood!

At the end of every spring we usually visit the highlands around Triglav, where we cool from the summer heat. This time the company was very diverse: Ana, Nejc, Artac and my coworker Simon from Switzerland. There was a lot of mountaineering, skiing but also tons of food, blueberry snaps and laughter.

We slept in the five-star winter room at Dom Valentina Stanica (2332m), which even surprised us with electricity from sun collectors. This is something completely uncommon in Slovenian bivouacs and winter rooms. Besides giving us electricity the sun also warmed-up the room to a comfortable 12 degrees - check out Simon's satisfaction on the photo below.

We skied practically everything that is possible in the close surroundings: Vrbanova Špica (2408m), Kredarica (2539m) and Rž (2538m). Artač decided to bring the game to a higher level by skiing the North face of Triglav (IV+, S5). I satisfied myself with a steep ravine in Rž, which has been seducing Kebr and me for quite a few years. I have not found this ravine in any alpinistic-ski literature. In current conditions I would rank it as: (IV, S4+).

The trip was very intensive, and I think that in the end every member of the team found his/her own challenges. I can say it was a grand finish of my ski-touring season; it's now time to focus on other adventures.. like my masters thesis for example!

No comments: