Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Pokljuka and Powder!

The mountain ridge that separates Pokljuka plateau and the glacier valley of Krma is a very popular ski-touring destination, because it's very easy to access and the high growing pine trees offer shelter from avalanches. The ridge starts with Debela Peč (2014m) and then continues with Brda (2008m), Lipanski vrh (1974m), Mrežce (1965m), and Debeli vrh (1962m). The most resistant piners are thinly scattered to the very top of these mountains and making beautiful lines in deep powder between them is an awesome experience. Together with my mom and my dog Bella, we ascended to the hut on the meadow Lipanca (1630m). It's funny how Bella looses her sense of hearing and doesn't listen to any commands that we practise at home. She is simply too excited jumping around in snow and scarring bypassing skiers:)

 
When we started to pack our things at the bottom, I realized that I have forgotten my uphill skins at home (skins are put on skies and allow you to ascent on them, keeping you on top of the snow) and I just can't explain the disappointment in me. I thought such things happen to others and not to me! The next few hours of suffering, while I trudged through the snow up to my waste, I had plenty of time to remorse my mistake. I guess everybody is prone to forget a crucial piece of equipment (like skins) at home and if that doesn't happen for a longer period, you simply become more careless about it. And then it happens - and it happened to me:) Except for a couple of extra kilograms on my back, the ascent to the hut was nothing special. The fun started, when my other bandits (Kebr, Artač, freerider Burek) joined me at the hut. After saying goodbye to my mom we started ascending to the top of Mrežce (1965m) and while others were having a walk-in-the-park, I was swimming in deep powder - constantly fighting against the thought of quitting. My stubberrness did not allow that of course! Sometimes I had powder up to my chest and it was easier to crawl on my belly. The last 100 meters rewarded me with hard snow (powder is usually blown away on the peaks), and there I stood on top of a small and beautiful mountain, happy that I beat it and determined never to forget my skins again. After some chat and photos, we descended towards Pokljuka.. and powder was never so sweet before!

 

No comments: