Saturday, April 10, 2010

Komna.. the perfect plan-B!

My father has recently revived his sport enthusiasm and climbing Kredarica was one of the big plans that were hanging in the air. Last Friday was set as the date, while the crew included Ana and me, and both our fathers. Everything was carefully planned, except for the weather, which simply didn't want to cooperate. Up to 30cm of snow was forecasted to fall in Juliske alps, but when I called Kredarica on Friday morning, they received more than half a meter. My character is very resistant to abandon big plans, however, the only safe and rational choice was Komna. In the end, my humility was more than rewarded, as the trip gave us everything I could wish for.

 
Komna is a vast mountain plateau, beginning at the South Juliske Alps and ending almost at the Valley of the Triglav Lakes. Like Kredarica, the Komna hut is one of the rare mountain huts that is open throughout the whole year. Even though we usually enjoy the "comfort" of winter rooms, this luxury experience was not to complain about - warm goulash, cold beer, long hours of cards and laughter besides a burning stove... Lojze (Ana's father) had his 50th birthday on Thursday and this was another good reason to celebrate. On the next day I pushed for an early start (even thought this didn't make me extremely popular:), which gave us an amazing sunrise. The new snow transformed Komna into a winter fairy-tale, and we quickly started climbing towards Srednji vrh (1874m). We had two pioneers - Lojze on skies and my father on snow-shoes.. while Ana and I were giving technical support. I was a little worried about Lojze's descent, however, he showed agile skiing and great stability in fresh powder.. I simply thought: WOW, we are definitely doing this again!

 

No comments: