Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Triglav Lakes!

I live in a world, where I face a never-ending struggle with time. Perhaps my grandparents lived in a different world, where they worked the field on sunny days and stayed at home when it rained. However, those times are over, which is why I have to plan very carefully to satisfy all my hobbies and instincts. Working 8 hours per day plus 3 hours of after-graduate classes certanly add to the excitement of the situation:) In the rare free time that is left I try to squezze all sorts of things. Last week, spring ski-touring and hanging out with my co-workers were both very high on the priority list. And that is how it happened - three Slovakian lads, Maja, Andraž and I attacked the magnificant Valley of the Triglav Lakes.

 
We first passed all the Bohinj meadows - Pl. Blato, Pl. Jezero, Pl. Dedno Polje, Pl. Ovčarija and later entered the beginning of the valley. Just when I was explaining to Martin, that bears do not live in this region we ran into fresh footprints (mother bear + baby bear). Before this, Martin was complaining about exhaustion, but now he speeded the tempo and in about three hours we all stood at the hut on Prehodavci (2071m). Later we witnessed a very romantic sunset, however, the night brought a devastating blizzard that rumbled until morning. I have never seen a snow storm of such magnitude and for a few moments I thought that it will tear down the bivouac. Not used to such destructive power, my companions were also a little pale. We had to abandon all the big plans in the morning, because of the dense fog that that was left by the storm. Using my map and compass we moved meter-by-meter, until we finally came out of the milky darkness somewhere below 1900m. Oh yeh, it was a long way to go.. and it turned almost dark when we finally reached our car. We "waved" goodbye to our Slovakian colleagues and jumped for a monster pizza in Bohinj - hungry, but not beaten.. this is how we celebrated our magnificat adventure.

 

No comments: